In this digital era, an increasing number of people are working remotely. Remote working is also gaining more popularity as it helps employees to manage more responsibilities while spending less time commuting. As a result, remote developers—whether full-time or freelancers—are in high demand. If you’re thinking about hiring remote developers for your startup, you’ve come to the right place! In this article, we will walk you through the tips and tricks for hiring a remote developer for your startup.
Define your requirements and find the right remote developer for your startup
You must know the requirements of your job description before you hire a remote developer. This will help you to hire the right candidate for the job. Here are a few things you need to consider before hiring a remote developer for your startup:
List the skills needed for the project
The first step before hiring a remote developer is to know which skills are needed. It will help you to filter candidates and to look for the right skills that are needed for your startup. Here are a few skills you can consider while hiring remote developers for your startup:
- Communication skills – Communication skills are vital when hiring a remote worker, especially from other countries where English is not the native language. You may hire a top programmer from India, but if he has issues understanding your language and expressing himself, it will cause a lot of delays in work and you might end up paying for hours of programming but not getting what you envision.
- Time management skills – Before hiring a remote developer, you need to ensure that your remote developer is able to commit and provide quality work within a specified time frame. There’s nothing worse than your remote developer going missing near the project deadline and you aren’t able to answer to your stakeholders when the deadline is up!
- Technical skills – Your remote developer will be responsible for executing the technical requirements of the project. This will include writing the code and debugging the issues. You need to make sure that your remote developer has the required skills to execute the technical requirements of your project. Look at similar past projects, do a remote interview and validate the skills of the developer by checking their certifications to esnure sure you are hiring the right developer.
- Strong problem-solving skills – Remote developers will be responsible for solving the problems that have been raised by the clients. You need to make sure that they have strong problem-solving skills.
Where to find and hire remote developers
Once you know what skills you need, it is time to find remote developers. You can find remote developers through various channels, including:
- Hiring a staffing company – You can hire a staffing company to help you in finding the appropriate remote developers for your startup. Some big staffing companies include Adecco, Randstad and Kelly Servies.
- Freelance websites – Many websites offer remote developer jobs. You can find remote developers on websites like Upwork.
- Remote job boards – There are remote job boards that exhibit remote developer jobs. You can find the remote developers on these job boards. One of the largest remote work communities is We Work Remotely, with more than 2.5 million monthly visitors.
- Referrals – This is an effective approach to hiring remote developers for your startup. You can ask your friends and business associates for referrals. These kinds of referrals tend to get more reliable developers.
Select the right platform and evaluate candidates
Once you have found the remote developers, it is time to select the right platform to communicate with them. You can select the following platforms to communicate with the remote developers:
- Video conferencing – Video conferencing is one of the best ways to communicate with remote developers. You can also use it to assess the skills of remote developers. Popular video conferencing softwares include Teams, Google Meet, Zoom and Skype.
- Chatting applications – You can use chatting applications such as Skype, Whatsapp, FaceTime and Telegram to communicate with remote developers.
- E-mail – Communicating via email with remote developers may take longer especially with timezone difference with remote workers.
- Remote working platforms – Remote working platforms such as We Work Remotely and Upwork is designed to help you to manage your remote workers. Upwork has features such as time tracker, screen capture, hourly billing, payment milestones and Escrow payments to help you track working hours and release payments. You can use these platforms to communicate and securely pay your remote developer.
- Collaboration tools – Collaboration tools such as Trello, Asana, etc. can be used to track the progress of remote developers. You can use these tools to communicate with remote developers as well.
Challenges of hiring remote developers
While hiring remote developers has its advantages, it also has its drawbacks. We’ll go over each of these issues and possible solutions in the sections below.
Quality of Service
One reason people are hesitant to hire remote developers from different parts of the world is apprehension about the level of service they will provide. Unqualified programmers are frequently hired by inexperienced hiring managers because they provide services at a lower cost.
Solution: Before signing a contract, properly evaluate and test the coding abilities and overall technical experience of remote developers to avoid this potential difficulty. To make sure they meet your needs, glance over their previous work portfolio. Platforms such as Upwork has rating system and past client feedback to ensure the developer has good experiences and work history.
Giving your development needs to inexperienced developers might result in cost overruns, missed deadlines, and other issues. You may end up spending more in the long run if you hire programmers with less expertise at cheaper rates due to mistakes, delays, or other issues that happen throughout the development process.
Solution: Working with reputable offshore software development firms will help you minimize cost overruns. It is also wise to pay a premium price for a local developer in your town to reduce communication issues. You’ll obtain the best services at the best prices this way with fewer surprises.
Remote developers may assume they understand the scope of your project if you don’t explain your needs and expectations clearly during the hiring and onboarding process.
Solution: When hiring remote developers, make sure you communicate regularly and clearly to avoid miscommunication. Always choose a developer or agency that asks questions and keeps open lines of communication open. Break the project into milestones so you can keep track of the project progress.
Time Zone Issues
Another big issue for companies recruiting remote development teams is time zone. A significant difference in time zones makes it difficult to communicate, schedule meetings, and resolve issues across a team. According to the Buffer survey, being in a different time zone than teammates is the most difficult aspect of remote work for 7 percent of respondents.
Solution: Supporting a workforce that works across several time zones necessitates asynchronous communication. Because async-first requires highly driven and independent workers who can manage their work and stay accountable with little or no direction, you’ll want to find and interview developers who possess those attributes.
Tracking and Managing Your Team’s Productivity
Managing and tracking the progress of your project becomes considerably more difficult when your workforce is spread throughout the globe.
Solution: You can assign your project to a specialized project manager who will oversee productivity and handle assignments strategically if you want to manage a remote team and keep your developers busy. Clients are assigned to project managers by professional outsourcing organizations.
The Final Words
Hiring remote developers is a great way to grow your business. However, you need to follow the right steps to hire the right remote developers for your startup. Once you do that, you will find it easier to manage the remote developers and deliver quality work within a specified time frame.